Metro News
Uromi killings: Edo gov meets Barau, says 14 suspects now in custody
We’ll ensure perpetrators are brought to book – Deputy Senate President

Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo State has paid a condolence visit to the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau I Jibrin, over the killings of travellers in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area of Edo State.
The governor was at the Maitama residence of the Deputy President of the Senate in Abuja on Monday.
A mob had intercepted the innocent travellers who were on their way to Kano State for Sallah celebrations, ransacked their vehicle and gruesomely murdered them on Thursday. The victims who were hunters are from Kano State.
The Special Adviser to the Deputy President of the Senate on Media and Publicity, Alhaji Ismail Mudashir, said the governor extended his condolences to the Deputy President of the Senate, who is from Kano State, pledging that the state government will assist the families of the victims.
The Edo State governor disclosed that the 14 suspects arrested in connection with the killings of the innocent travellers are going to be taken to Abuja for further interrogation.
While assuring that the perpetrators will face the full wrath of the law, he described the killings of the innocent travellers as unfortunate and condemnable.
” It’s unfortunate that it happened in our state. We are here to say, to let you and other people know that we are not happy.
The president is doing something drastic about this. He’s not happy also. The IG has swung into action. The DIG CID is in charge. So far, they have arrested 14 suspects.
” So they are bringing them to Abuja for interrogation. We have also set up a committee to see that we take care of the families of the deceased,” he said.
Responding, the Deputy President of the Senate said the perpetrators of the act must be brought to book to serve as a deterrent to others.
” We cannot undo what has been done. But we all want – all Nigerians, what they are looking forward to is to make sure that these people are arrested and brought to justice. And you are doing well in that direction. And I’m also glad you’ve spoken about the fact that your government is ready to assist the families of those affected.
” I want you to continue to pursue the case so that all those who were involved in these barbaric actions are brought to justice. It’s a barbaric action, to say the facts.
” If they are brought to justice, it would serve as a deterrent to those who might want to do this in future. I know that people from other parts of the country have been staying with your people in Edo for centuries in a very conducive atmosphere. And this barbaric act has never happened. I’m sure, under your watch, this will not happen again.
” I thank you very much. You’ve told me now that you’ll meet the Kano State governor today. This is very good. Please continue what you are doing. Mr President also told us that you are doing very well in this direction, and we have seen it because, as I said, we have spoken several times on this matter in the last 72 hours,” he said.
-
National News16 hours ago
Breaking: Tinubu reshuffles NNPC leadership, appoints new chairman, group CEO
-
Politics2 days ago
Natasha returns to Nigeria, bags award
-
Politics2 days ago
More trouble for PDP as top party official resigns
-
Achiever's Profile15 hours ago
What to know about newly appointed NNPC GCEO
-
National News2 days ago
Ahmed Musa under fire for ‘selective’ outrage over Edo jungle justice
-
National News2 days ago
2027: APC announces automatic ticket for Cross River governor Otu
-
Politics10 hours ago
Breaking: Tribunal throws out petition challenging Okpebholo’s election victory
-
Politics2 days ago
“Nigerians will reject you in 2027”, PDP tells Tinubu