Politics
Akpabio denies involvement in Abbo’s removal from Senate

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio, has denied involvement in removing the former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo.
Akpabio, Thursday stated that he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.
The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.
Abbo was sacked by a Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.
The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.
But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.
He also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.
This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.
Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his removal from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.
He said, “It is sad and regrettable that, despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.
“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”
Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined Abbo’s fate before he was consequently removed.
The former governor of Akwa Ibom State asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.
“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of October 18, 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.
“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.
“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.
“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.
-
Politics2 days ago
Akpabio sponsoring ‘EFCC most wanted person’ to recall me – Sen. Natasha
-
Entertainment2 days ago
Drama as 2face, Natasha Osawaru make appearance at Edo Election Tribunal
-
Politics1 day ago
Akpabio runs senate like personal empire —Senator Abbo
-
Sports2 days ago
Ancelotti tax fraud trial to begin
-
Politics2 days ago
Fubara solely responsible for political crisis in Rivers, APC insists
-
Metro News2 days ago
NIS arrests 51 irregular migrants from Mali
-
National News22 hours ago
Breaking: Why we cannot recall Natasha— INEC
-
National News1 day ago
CBN speaks on viral N5,000, N10,000 notes